Young Living is what we call “beyond organic” because they go beyond the requirements of organic labeling. One of Young Living’s biggest priorities is to provide organic products to their members, and they strive to use organic matter in all the steps from growing & processing, all the way to selling.
Young Living cannot place the word ‘organic’ on their labels because they import certain oils from their farms outside of the U.S., and most of these countries do not have organic standards that match the US standards. Because they meet certified organic for various countries, it actually exceeds the USDA organic certification. For example, the Young Living Farm in Ecuador meets organic certification for American, Ecuadorian, AND European organic standards.This is huge! That one farm alone met Organic Standards in three different countries.
In addition, we caution to you be skeptical of oils labeled“organic” as the FDA does not regulate the supplement industry and they do not approve that organic label on essential oils or supplements. You have to know the source of where they actually come from.
· Young Living does not use chemical fertilizers or pesticides on any of their our farms. In fact, Gary Young has never bought a farm that has EVER had a history of pesitcides or herbicides on it. (In order for a field to be truly “organic” it has to have been pesticide/herbicide free for 7 years. YL Farms have NEVER had those chemicals, EVER!).
· Young Living Farms have full time weed pickers. (I’ve had the opportunity to do this job myself at the 2015 Melissa Harvest in Idaho!) At any given time, 3-10 workers will pick weeks by hand because there are no herbicides or pesticdes. Check out Gary Young’s blog to see his standard: http://www.dgaryyoung.com/blog/2013/developing-organic-weed-and-pest-control/
· To ensure organic soil on their farms, Young Living raises organic worm farms on each property.
· Every farm is far away from major cities, so Gary Young even tests for environmental pollutants before purchasing land.
· Young Living uses their own organic seeds from past crops.
· Young Living will not accept oils, plants or seeds thatdo not meet their strict standard. GMO is NOT acceptable and never has been bought or used.
· Young Living triple checks every single batch of essential oil to ensure quality and safety. If an oil has certain constituents that do not reach their proper levels, that batch is re-used as the natural pesticide on their farms. (Hence our OOS list!) They refuse to sell a product that doesn’t meet their rigorous standards, and they accept the monetary costs of this sacrifice happily each year. (Each year, YL will actually share this percentage with the public.)
· You can go to the farms yourself and see for yourself the Seed to Seal process. They have absolutely nothing to hide and are very proud of their establishment!
· Young Living’s Promise to Families: “Young Living believes that you and your family deserve products that are genuine, free of harmful synthetics, and of unmatched purity. Seed to Seal® is our promise toyou that we are committed to providing just that to your family. From the seeds we plant to the moment we seal our bottles, we focus on naturally occurring and high-quality components to provide you with a pristine final product without compromise.” (source: http://www.seedtoseal.com).
Young Living® recognizes and supports the standards set by AFNOR and ISO for essential oil commerce and we pride ourselves on meeting all AFNOR and ISO standards. In addition to these external regulations, however, Young Living® also sets and exceeds a higher internal standard, built upon the magnitude of our own rigorous QA requirements. This standard is commonly known as “Therapeutic-Grade.”
In order to achieve “Therapeutic Grade” classification, each essential oil must scientifically prove the designation naturally, without manipulation, refinement and or spiking, and meet specific criteria in each of 4 key areas: Plants, Preparation, Purity and Potency.
1. Plants: Young Living® products are produced from quality plants grown in exceptional soil and harvested at the optimal time.
2. Preparation: Honoring a strict commitment to respecting and protecting the time-honored wisdom, tradition and art of distillation, Young Living® makes every effort to preserve “nature’s living energy” in a manner as close to its natural state as possible.
3. Purity: Achieved through the use of quality plants and meticulous preparation, and not through ultra-refinement and sanitization, our finished product is 100% pure. Young Living® essential oils are unadulterated, uncut and totally free of chemicals, pesticides and metals.
4. Potency: A passion for plants and our quality guarantee results in the production of the world’s finest essential oils, and the right phytochemicals at the right amounts, representing unmatched strength and efficacy.
There are oils provided by others, which do meet AFNOR and ISO standards, they do not match Young Living’s® stringent “Therapeutic-Grade” requirements, and could never be valued as in a similar class. Although we pride ourselves on meeting established industry requirements, Young Living sets the bar for quality standards and stands alone in the production of “Therapeutic Grade” essential oils.”
“Our staff subject every incoming lot of essential oils to a battery of tests including gas chromatography, GC/MS, heavy metals analysis, Microbial, Flash Point, Optical Rotation, Refractive Index, and Specific Gravity. Oils that exhibit even the slightest hint of possible tampering or adulteration-even if provided from a trusted supplier-are sent to outside laboratories for even more in-depth dissection using techniques such as carbon isotope analysis. We will even, if there is a question on the smell of an oil, send it out for third party testing to verify it is clean and pure.”